rss
email
twitter
facebook

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Disadvantages of Marginal Costing Technique


      
            The separation of costs into fixed and variable is difficult and sometimes gives misleading results.
            Normal costing systems also apply overhead under normal operating volume and this shows that no advantage is gained by marginal costing.
            Under marginal costing, stocks and work in progress are understated. The exclusion of fixed costs from inventories affect profit, and true and fair view of financial affairs of an organization may not be clearly transparent.
            Volume variance in standard costing also discloses the effect of fluctuating output on fixed overhead. Marginal cost data becomes unrealistic in case of highly fluctuating levels of production, e.g., in case of seasonal factories.
            Application of fixed overhead depends on estimates and not on the actuals and as such there may be under or over absorption of the same.
            Control affected by means of budgetary control is also accepted by many. In order to know the net profit, we should not be satisfied with contribution and hence, fixed overhead is also a valuable item. A system which ignores fixed costs is less effective since a major portion of fixed cost is not taken care of under marginal costing.
            In practice, sales price, fixed cost and variable cost per unit may vary. Thus, the assumptions underlying the theory of marginal costing sometimes becomes unrealistic. For long term profit planning, absorption costing is the only answer.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Thanks for your nice postI hope i will see this type of post again your blog"

Swan Partners said...

Thanks for sharing the useful information.Nice blog.Keep updating.
Accountant in Perth

Jared Freeman said...

This is the exact topic I got as a question in my exam today.I gona share a picture you check over here.Its great co-incident but great thing is that I visited this post just a day before exam so I attempted it perfectly.

Jared Freeman said...

This topic is truly irrelevant as I need some SPSS related content for my http://www.spsshelp.org/services/ assignment but there is no such material available.Could you please share some valuable links for this?Thank you.

Joel said...

This is first time I am reading about marginal costing technique disadvantages but I read it's many advantages on http://www.verbatimtranscriptionservices.com/superior-global-transcription-services/ and this is really good one.Thanks for sharing this.

Darnell S Dickens said...

It is a correct issue Manged to get for a concern at my audit now. I actually gonna promote scenes you actually take a look at through listed here. It has the superb co-incident nonetheless best part is definitely this only here I actually seen the following posting a little working day in advance of audit thus tried using them beautifully.

Christopher Blevins said...

When i basically about to showcase clips you will consider as a result of listed here. It offers this excellent co-incident on the other hand best part is probably that good site When i basically viewed the subsequent placing a bit daytime prior to exam so tried using using them wonderfully.

Unknown said...

Nice description which is given by you in this blog. Its provide a solution related to my problem. Thank you for this blog.
Hybrid Accounting in Greenwood
Accounting firm in Greenwood team
Accounting Services in chicago
Complete accounting services in Chicago
contact us for accounting needs
bookkeeping services in Indianapolis
Payroll services in Indianapolis
CFO services in Greenwood

Real Tracker said...

Thanks for sharing the useful information on project management software.Nice blog.Keep updating.

Anonymous said...

The Le_Meridian Funding Service went above and beyond their requirements to assist me with my loan which i used expand my pharmacy business,They were friendly, professional, and absolute gems to work with.I will recommend  anyone looking for loan to contact. Email..lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com  Or lfdsloans@outlook.com.WhatsApp ... + 19893943740.

FintechDemand said...

I have been through a blog, it was so distinct & I had a chance to collect the information that helps me a lot to improvise myself. I hope this will help many readers who are in need of this vital piece of information. Thanks for sharing & keep your blog updated.Visit my blog Fintech Demand

Post a Comment